Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pulp Redux Update # 3 Lisa J's book.

I have been on a roll these last few days! Today's been especially great, not only did I get lots of time to work on Lisa Jurist's book I also got my nest paper made and attempted to turn my bark into some sort of useable pigment. I got it to dust stage but as with the nest dye and kowhai dye the resulting wash is very pale when dry even though the liquid is not! I need to do some further investigation and work out why this is, the colour will be fantastic if I can pull it off!
Thankfully the nest paper was quite successful, I havn't photographed it yet so that will have to be another post. I have however photographed the work I did on Lisa's book! Here it is below...


Above is the closse up of the embellishement below. I didn't make the embellishement today, it was made last week and was patiently waiting for me to work out where it was meant to go!

The embellishement is a bit like a small book. It has a pocket on the front which can hold a small item but dosn't just yet:)  I've used my own paper beads (the text one says 'see') as well as tea dyed fabric, a found roofing nail cap, ribbon and various bits of recycled fabric. I am really pleased with the difference the red makes to the page and have added it to the first page I did as well.I still need to trim the lace and fabric behind this piece but the embellishement is done. You can see the 'page' inside it below.


The fabric bundle the small book sits on is actually another fabric book! The book is able to be taken out of the spread completely. I love things that can move and be played with!



The cover of the book opens to reveal a lace pocket with a poetry quote..



...and the next page of the book reveals a fabric collage made from 'nest dye' fabric and cotton wool soaked in 'nest dye.' I baked the cotton wool in the oven .Sewn to the top layer are non-organic items found in the nest I took apart (technically known as rubbish to us humans!) to make the dye. It was sad to find this stuff inside the nest. There was actually a lot of it, including plastic and ciggerette butts. Poor bird! My inclusion of these items isn't meant to be a negative statement however, I have simply carried on the recycling process the bird started. He or she thought they were useful and pretty enough to put in their home so why not on the pages of a book? I didn't know it when I picked it up in the car park but finding this nest has resulted in a collaboration with a bird!


For anyone who missed it, Lisa's book theme is "Roots, beneath the Layers.' I wrote above that  I was carrying on a process but as it turns out I've quite literally followed that theme and I've only just realised!
Funny how things turn out!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, lisa, i am just loving this! it's so beautiful and lovely and fantastically detailed! this is just fabulous!!!!

it's nearly 3 AM and i should be asleep but would you believe that on my way to slumber, i happened upon the most perfect idea for YOUR book in my wee head. was just walking up the stairs, and "poof!". so i was taking notes and drawing it up right quick before heading to bed when i noticed this come in. synchronicity, lady!

you are doing such a magnificent job on lisa's book! i can't wait to see your nest paper, too! such a talented lady you are, lis!

(kim's book still hasn't arrived here... but maybe tomorrow!)

BadPenny said...

I just love this

nancy neva gagliano said...

such sweet homage to the bird/the nest...nature's way.

Poetic Artist said...

I love all of this..Beautiful and so want to touch.

ArtPropelled said...

Lovely layers! Lisa your work is so exciting.

John M. Mora said...

lisa's non gray anatomy, almost --- my best.

Lawendula said...

Looks lovely!

How is the swap going on, Lisa, have you made contact already?
And shall I put you on the list for the crazy swap?

Greetings from the snow! FM

Seth said...

Just stunning. There is so much detail here, so much to take it. Must be great to actually be able to turn the pages!!

layers said...

it is wonderful how you come up with so many different ways to convey nest-and layers of nature

Jasmine said...

Amazing. Such beautiful fabrics.
I have some good web links for natural dyes on my other computer. i will try and find them for you. i've only tried it a few times but the colours feel so much better than chemical dyes. If you are really serious about giving it a go, india Flint has the most beautiful book.

Mick said...

Collaborating with a bird, eh? Some of us knew it might come to this! :D

Kim Palmer said...

I don't suppose too many artists can say they have collaborated with a bird, LOL! Great stuff Lisa! The dye results look good here in the pics, I'll be interested to see them in the flesh (so to speak!). Lovely textile play and the results are fab!

deb said...

As always with a book I want to touch it, this one looks fluffy and comforting somehow. I have a card I am going to send you for a show with nests, I thought of you the whole time...

Ro Bruhn said...

Love this, the textures are wonderful.

Debrina said...

Once again, I'm seriously behind the times! How the deuce do I keep missing these posts of yours Lisa???? It's been 3 days already and I would have missed it today too had I not been to another friend's post and seen your update there!!! Grrr... I'm so annoyed with myself! I think I might just have to subscribe to your posts, even though your updates post themselves up on my blog!! I just love the progress you have made with Lisa's pages. It is really amazing watching you excel in yet another style, theme and medium. Incredible stuff! I love the little book with a Ruth Dallas orignal nonetheless! Poetry has always been a soft spot for me.

Debrina said...

PS. thanks for leaving such an awesome and thoughtful comment on my latest posting too. ICE is bringing out the activist in me...dear oh dear. I am passionate about this theme though, so I'm glad it is also generating some discussion.

Lisa said...

I don't know how I missed this fabulous post but thanks for the reminder! We were out of town last weekend.. Maybe that was the reason.

This is hugely gorgeous! You've really taken the theme to heart! I just love what you've done with the little book... And the nest with the dyed wool and recycled bits is my favorite addition! I am also especially fond of removeable parts and pieces! I really like your addition of red... It's my favorite accent color to use especially as we both share a love of neutral creams, coffee and white tones in our work. Can't wait to see this in person and experience all the textures!