Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dis-Co!! The final reveal...who wants to play?

It's Dis-Co day! This journey started by Seth has been a wonderful one. It's been more than I expected and led me up paths I hadn't yet realised I wanted to follow. Thanks for that Seth! In brief the story goes something like this... I gathered up a bundle of bits, mostly paper, and bound them in wool and hung them out to enter part one of the collaboration with nature. Part 2 involved unwrapping it and discovering what happened during the months it was weathered outside. The results of that were then further disintegrated when I ripped it up into thousands of pieces to make my first sheets of paper. Part 3 saw the sheets of paper bound up again and given a second weathering...and part 4 is this one. The last step in this journey is nearly complete. I used my collection of paper and string to make postcards...I've shown them here in the order that I made them.


Postcard 1: Pandora's box. The text says 'Yet from the bottom of the box flew out a shining bird and as it flew around Pandora's head it twittered sweetly " I am Hope; as I stole into the box so will I also steal into human hearts.." I've used thread and the paper made from my bundle as well as a teasel lino cut and a digitally altered photo from my ICE 2009 image collection.

Postcard 2: The Crow. As luck would have it the words "The crow" survived two weathering's and a dunk in the paper making vat! It also worked out beautifully that I had recently added some vintage cigarette cards to my stash and one of these had a crow and nest on it! Perfect! Also included in this is a recycled book image, thread and a leaf ink print.


Postcard 3: Kakapo. The Kakapo is NZ native mountain parrot and I think this recycled book image aptly shows the cheeky nature of the bird. I also used my "part 2" paper, thread and a piece un-weathered cardinal brand playing card. Weathered bits are found in the paper.

Postcard 4: Gypsy. The vintage cigarette card with a Chaffinch and nest complimented the colours of the weathered paper and cardinal playing card to well not to use. I also used thread and a piece of material rescued from a book cover (it was the outside layer covering the books heavy cover...) dictionary definitions and a leaf print make up the background and the goldy-mustard coloured paper that appears in all of these is hand painted with a plastic credit type card.

Wheew! This has been fun! A postcard however, isn't a real postcard until it's actually been posted so that's where I thought it would be nice to play a little game of LUCKY DIP! If you would like to be the recipient of one of these cards then please let me know in your comment and I will put all the names on a hat (so to speak) and draw out one name for each card. Which one you get will also be lucky dip:) I will post the winners names on the 7th.

Thanks for Seth for organising and to you all for visting...I am on my way to see you now!

38 comments:

donna joy said...

love what you did w/your bundle-and now to send it off-what fun~count me in,
thanks,
donna

lyle baxter said...

the postcards are a great idea. its difficult to create a larger piece from such odd parts! lyle

BT said...

I absolutely love your postcards, what talented people are involved in this venture, the ones so far have all been excellent and different. I would love one of your cards too. Beautiful.

deb said...

what a cool idea and I love your paper, so pick me! pick me! mail me a postcard!! and congrats on being the first reveal!!

ArtPropelled said...

Love what you created for the disintegration project especially the first one. The thread adds character and the wording is perfect.
Yes, pleeease count me into the draw!

Corrine said...

What a lovely selection of post cards. I love the birds and the different threads, and the lino cut worked beautifully. I'd love to get one, it would go onto my new inspiration board, so please count me in:)

Mick said...

A stellar use of your bundle, Lisa. That said and shhhh, here's a C-note to make sure that I get picked for at least one of the cards. There's more where that came from, nudge, nudge, wink, wink. :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, your DisCo postcards simply blew me away. To think these lovelies came from scraps exposed to the elements.

To add to the fun, I came to see your gorgeous art and ended up joining a Lucky Dip contest!

Irene said...

You did a wonderful job, Lisa. It was very interesting to read about the process. You always manage to turn it into something special, no matter what the project is. I would love to receive a postcard from you. It would be wonderful and I would frame it.

theresa martin said...

Beautiful postcards! How nice of you to offer to 'post' them too!

jaihn said...

These are so lovely.
And I wanted to say that before I read your generous offer!
Please do include me in the draw.
Thank you!
xxx

Dymphie said...

you made some really wonderful postcards, worth framing indeed.
Plaese add my name to the lucky dipping, it would be so cool to receive one of these beauties :)

Nikki Lee Anne Ghilain said...

Beautiful!!!!! I would love to take a lucky dip!

Caterina Giglio said...

your post cards are just beautiful!

Lani Gerity said...

What fun and sure, I'd love to participate in your lucky dip!

Unknown said...

As usual, lovely work! Sure would love to add one to my collection, count me in!

Caroline Gill said...

These are wonderful. Love the bird theme. Greetings from Wales, UK. Hasn't it all been fun?

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Terrific use of your disintegration...recycled. :)

Yes, I'd be honoured to receive a postcard.

Renee Howell said...

What a wonderful idea to use post cards. I think I may just have to do that next winter. And, I LOVE how you used the string on each of the postcards. I love lines, so of course, string, too. Nice art. Thanks for playing along with the rest of us. An exciting day!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. What a treasure to receive such a beautiful piece in the post. I'd love to.

Maj said...

What sweet cards! You really have gotten the best out of your "disintegrated" materials!
A fun idea to have a give-away!

Unknown said...

I just love these cards and the way the text and the images lie together. Please can you add my name into the hat?

Don Madden said...

Very nice work, but let's see what the Postal Service can do to add to the disintegration when you mail one to me.

nancy neva gagliano said...

my postcard collection quivers, knowing it'll be a cold winter for them....i've played with postcards before, sanding them to distress, but RIGHT ON...let ma nature works its magic like you did.....love the additions, and dimensions, and sentiments!!!

notmassproduced said...

these are lova lova lovaly!

Wayne Pitchko said...

my comment got lost...maybe it is till in the ladies bag......anyways......I really like what you have done....and nicely done. thanks for visiting.....and COUNT ME IN...im smilling upside down....so how could you not pick me.

Anonymous said...

these are so very lovely and sweet!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

You did such a fabulous job with the disintegration project. I'd love to be included in the draw. If by lucky chance I win one of them, I've ticked the "Email follow-up comments" box.

Thanks!

Kim Palmer said...

What a fabulous idea your postcards are wonderful! Count me in too!

Mary S. Hunt said...

FABULOUS!

marianne said...

i agree- fabulous! love seeing what others did with this!

Anonymous said...

Shari said...
Love the way you incorporated the bird theme. Recently I discovered a bucket of papers,fibers and rusty items that had been unintentionally left outside. Hmm.
I can email my address if my name is chosen.

Debrina said...

WOW Lisa - I was so busting a gut to see what your final finished piece was going to look like and I have not been dissapointed!!! I love every single postcard. I love the way you have incorporated your disintegrated pieces and worked the colours and the bird theme and the quotes in. AND looky here - you're giving them away!!! Well count me in, lady! Count me in!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Your DisCo postcards are each a treasure and a triumph!
What a lovely surprise to have the chance to be a lucky receiver of one of them...so very generous and lovely of you!
~*~ Patty

John M. Mora said...

hey, flash.card.dance

Unknown said...

Please put my name in your hat!!

lovely..all of them

Diane said...

Gosh, I am sorry I missed this drawing! What a wonderful and creative idea. Love your work!